Tuesday, August 6, 2013

This is how you die

This is how you die (Machine of Death #2) has finally been published in July. It was launched at Comic Con in San Diego. I read the book as soon as I got it. Of course I'm very proud of having my story published in it (and I would say it was good even if it weren't), still, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the range of stories included. I loved the first collection of stories in the series, Machine of Death. I expected something similar of this book. But like I said, I was surprised.

Where the stories in the first collection focused mainly on humour and surprise twists, this second volume is so eclectic and amazing that it is hard to describe it with just a few words. In a book where all the stories share the same premise one would expect the same topics and themes being repeated ad infinitum. Not so in This is how you die. The scope of themes, the styles, the narratives are so diverse that I do not envy the editors that had to read hundreds of stories and pick just a few to include in the collection.


The subject matters range from heartbreaking in such stories as 'Old age, surrounded by loved ones' or 'Blunt force trauma delivered by spouse', to hilarios as in 'Meat eater', speculative in 'Drowning burning falling flying','Not applicable' or 'Toxoplasmosis of the brain', shocking as in 'Execution by beheading' to Sherlock Holmes making an appearance in 'Apitoxin'. We even get a peek into the pre-Revolution Paris in 'La mort d'un roturier'. All these stories, and plenty of others, are a delight to read. Go buy your copy now, you won't regret it. 


Amazon    

Book Depository

Indie Bound

Hachette

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations for being part of this book! I just bookmarked it, didn't know about it. Interesting concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. If you email me your address, I'll mail you a copy to make up for the Guy Deutscher book. :-)

      Delete